Frosted glass windows are meant for privacy, plain and simple. Sometimes you see it used for aesthetic effect, but primarily it's used to let a little light in while keeping wandering eyes out—unless those wandering eyes have some Scotch tape in their pocket.
Yes, a mere piece of transparent tape is all you need to turn blurry images into recognizable shapes. Privacy into peep show. It's not exactly a secret these days, but if you haven't seen this classic trick yet, this is how it looks:
Frosted glass is made after the fact. You start with a normal piece of flat clear glass, then sandblast or acid etch until the smooth, transparent surface becomes rough and full of inclusions. Those surface imperfections diffuse light when it hits or passes through them, creating the warped, blurred "frost" on the glass.
When you place pressure-sensitive tapes made of clear cellophane (like packing tape) onto the glass, the clear glue fills the microscopic crevices in, while the cellophane helps flatten the glass again. The light is no longer diffused and images become clearly defined. It's still slightly blurry because of the etchings and glue, but a significant increase in visual perception is experienced.
To get this trick to work better, keep these tips in mind.
- The thinner the abrasion of the frosting, the better this will work.
- Most frosted glass has only one actual frosted side. As long as the tape is on the frost, you should be able to see in, no matter which side you're peering through.
- If both sides are frosted, then you'll need to apply tape to both sides for maximum acuity.
- In order to see anything clearly, your eyes need to be close to the tape—in true peeping Tom-fashion.
- Other things produce similar effects, like water on frosted shower doors.
Got any other tips? Or something else that works? Share below.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades