Think credit card numbers are just a meaningless jumble of digits? A sort of number soup? Think again! Your credit card number isn't even number at all but rather a composite of four separate numbers, each of which plays an important, fixed role.
Because of these roles, you can figure out a lot about a card just by looking at its number. With a little bit of back-of-the-napkin math, you can, in fact, even determine whether a given credit card number is valid or not—which, if nothing else, is a great party trick.
Interested in cracking the credit card code for yourself? Here's how it works:
- Having trouble validating your card? A Mint.com forum user writes, "Some cards use a variation – 'Mod 10 plus 5', so they accept as valid if the sum ends with 0 or 5."
Want more? Explore WonderHowTo's collection of credit card videos.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades