Just because you're not Batman doesn't mean you can't use a hidden room that's camouflaged as a bookshelf. Maybe you have a collection that's worth a lot of money, or a super-secret lab—or, like YouTube user korostelevm, maybe you just want a good hiding place for your guns.
He turned his closet into a secret room hidden by a bookcase, complete with the obligatory movie-inspired book-for-a-handle trick.
To support all the weight of the bookcase, he used four heavy-duty casters, cutting off the wheels and welding on conduit box pieces in their place. These are mounted at the top and bottom of the door
Once he built the bookcase and placed it between the hinges, he added locks and the pulleys that open the door when the book handle is pulled. The cord is connected to the handle through a small hole he drilled, and the lever is hidden inside a space he cut out inside an old copy of The Grapes of Wrath.
After a few coats of paint and some new trim, you'd never know there's anything behind it. Plus, like korostelevm says, it actually makes the room look better, too.
Check out the video above to see a demo, and the Imgur album for more photos and details on the build.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades