Jesus Miracles Explained: This DIY Transmogrifier Lets You Turn Water into Wine
For many years, scientists have wondered about the miracles that Jesus performed. What they didn't know, however, was that he was a master of all bar and prop tricks. Walking on water, feeding 5,000 people with five loaves of bread and two fish, and that whole coming back from the dead thing, just to name a few.
While these tricks have yet to be fully explained (except maybe walking on water), you can finally mimic the "water into wine" feat with sweet, sweet science, courtesy of Jason Poel Smith at MAKE. And if it turns out to be crappy wine, you can always use this process for making it taste better.
- Cut the top off a 2-liter soda bottle as evenly as possible, then remove the plastic ring from the mouth of the bottle.
- Take the bottle cap off the 2-liter bottle and drill one hole into it. Take the other bottle caps and drill two holes each of those. Make sure the drill bit used is the same diameter as your tubing.
- Attach one of the 6-inch tubes to the 2 liter bottle cap, then attach one of the other bottle caps to the other end of the tube. Take the another 6-inch tube and connect it between the second bottle cap and the third. Take the 18-inch tube and attach it to the last hole in the last bottle cap.
- Trace the outline of the funnel to the top of the cardboard box, then cut the hole. Insert the funnel into the hole and attach it's bottle cap on the inside of the box.
- Screw in an empty soda bottle to the second cap, and a soda bottle filled with wine to the last cap. Be sure that the 18-inch tubing touches the bottom of the bottle containing your wine.
- Cut a hole in the box for the 18-inch tube that is higher than the bottle of wine, then feed the tube through.
- Tape the box up so that the bottles are hidden. Add water to the funnel up top that will push air through the bottles, allowing the wine to come out like magic! Make sure you have a wine glass at the ready for when it comes pouring out.
This trick requires a bit of work, and uses air pressure to works its magic, but it's sure to amaze your more gullible friends. Then again, who isn't amazed when alcohol is involved.
For added effect, be sure you play Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" while you perform this trick.